In 1920 Epsom was just starting to grow, the land in Banff Ave was vacant and a parish was born. Since that time a lively Catholic community has continued to grow and flourish. Now there is a Church, parish hall, parish school, play ground and presbytery.More significantly the people of the Epsom parish have worked and socialised together to support all the major Catholic activities from the Sacred Heart Confraternity, the Legion of Mary and the Holy Name Society in the early years through the Christian Family Movement, the Home and School Association, the Youth Movement, the Catholic Women’s’ League, and St Vincent de Paul.There have been Boy scouts and cubs, indoor bowls, dances, and evenings, housie, table tennis and Christmas afternoon tea and carols for those in rest homes.
The parish has met the challenge of the changes of the past – Vatican II years, the increasing role of the laity, the Integration of the school, the continuing demands of ministry to a large number of hospitals and rest homes in this part of Auckland. We have been and are blessed with a wealth of human ability to enrich our spiritual journey with liturgy preparation, music, sacramental programmes and special ministries.