Our Lady of the Sacred Heart, Epsom
In 1920 Epsom was just starting to grow, the land in Banff Ave was vacant and a parish was born. Since that time a lively Catholic community has continued to grow and flourish. Now there is a Church, parish hall, parish school, playground and presbytery.
More significantly the people of the Epsom parish have worked and socialised together to support all the major Catholic activities from the Sacred Heart Confraternity, the Legion of Mary and the Holy Spirit Name Society in the early years through to the Christian Family Movement, the home and School Association, the Youth Movement, the Catholic Women’s’ League, and St Vincent de Paul.
There have been Boy Scouts and cubs, indoor bowls, dances, card evening, housie, table tennis and Christmas afternoon tea and carols for those in rest homes.
The parish has met the challenge of the changes of the post – Vatican II years, the increasing role of the laity, the Integration of the school, the continuing demands of ministry to large number of hospitals and rest homes in this part of Auckland. We have been and are blessed with a wealth of human ability to enrich our spiritual journey with liturgy preparation, music sacramental programmes and special ministries.
A Brief History
1921 -29 June- Holy Cross Convent blessed and opened. Sisters go into residence.
1921 – Father O’Byrne takes up residence at 88 St Andrews Road.
1922 – 2 May – Blessing and Opening of Church-school.
1925 – 6 September – New church opened.
1928 – 16 May – 12 Atherton Road was bought as the presbytery.
1928 – 3 September – Old convent building destroyed by fire but no injuries.
1929 – September – Auckland City Council bought a triangle of land to extend Banff Avenue.
1934 – 12 Atherton Road sold.
1935 – The existing presbytery was completed.
1951 – February – New Infant block and two tennis courts blessed and opened by Bishop Liston.
1953 – 7 June – Parish hall opened by Archbishop Liston.
1957/8 – Presbytery enlarged and brick-clad.
1966 – 25 September – New sanctuary and extra seating in church blessed.
1974 – 28 November – A piece of land purchased from convent. Sisters of Mercy leave to live at Onehunga and rent convent building to Mr & Mrs Griffin.
1978 – Alterations to church porch.
1981 – Sisters of Mercy return to convent.
1987 – September – the large Norfolk pine and adjacent trees of Banff Avenue fenceline cut down.
1988 – December – the Mercy Spiritual Life Centre opened.
1989 -29 August – Approval granted to undertake upgrade of hall.
1991- Lurline Avenue (blue) house discussed, shifted and renovated.
1992 – New school buildings opened.
1994 – Sanctuary altered and altar brought closer to congregation.
1995 – Extra classroom created from school library and school library moved into end of the hall.
1995 – Parish 75th Jubilee
1999 – New Classroom and staffroom for school.
2000 – Steering towards 2001
2000 – Confessionals refurbished
2001 – Church entry refurbished
Feb 2002 – Marist priests leave Parish and Diocese